Thursday, September 6, 2007

Preparing for the weekend

I'm going to UT tomorrow for a few days. Normally not a big deal but this trip is to say good-bye to my Grandpa. He's going off of dialysis next week and will pass away sometime this month. I haven't thought much about this trip, mostly because I don't want to think about saying goodbye to one of my heroes. Part of life is death and I know he's excited to be out of pain and see my Grandma again. And honestly, I'm happy for him, and a little sad for me.

This trip poses a challenge for me. I want the good things, saying goodbye, seeing my family but I hate dealing with emotional situations when I can't control what food is around. My parents don't understand why every time I go home I hit the grocery store and spend $50 on food. And I think it hurts them a little - food equals love in my house. It did growing up and it still does. Living 1500 miles away from my family is certainly more selfish than most people realize.

I just need to remember that eating my emotions is not going to solve anything.

4 comments:

Blossom said...

So sorry to hear about your grandpa. But I'm sure he will be glad to see you, and will go knowing how loved he is.

Anonymous said...

I wish you peace saying goodbye to your Grandpa. Hope those moments have love, great memories, and hope in them.

As you travel reflect on the true nourishment we use to fuel our bodies and souls.

Take care of yourself on your journey.

Amber said...

I know that that is not an easy thing to do. I receently lost my Grandpa as well. It really helped to watch home videos and go through pictures and to relive the memories I had with him instead of turning to my usual vice, food. Have a safe trip and take care.

Crystal said...

Huge *hugs*. I'm sending along lots of positive energy to help keep your mind off of food. Be safe and my thoughts are with you!!