Wednesday, August 15, 2007

Feeling Large Yet In Charge

YAY! I made it to the gym last night, rowed, ran and am committed to going tonight (at like 10 pm, but who cares)! I've tracked my food for two days now and am feeling way more in control. Feeling better, after just two days. Going to find a Fall 5K since I bailed on the Peach Festival one this summer. I really miss the running.

It's strange to explain to others how food has very little to do with actual, physical hunger for me. Eating is wrapped up in my emotional state of being, the way I was taught love and how I react to anything. For example:

Happy = celebrate with cookie.
Sad = cheer self up with cookie.
Anxious = distract self with cook.
Bored = entertain self with cookie.
Nostalgic = eat cookie to remind myself of other cookies.

I'm slowly learning to recognize actual hunger and to eat only then. I have a post-it on my desk that reads "If it isn't hunger, food won't fix it." Maybe I should tattoo that on my dominant hand, and read it every time before indulging in those cookies. Mom would love that.

No comments: